
I love this picture of my Grandpa
and
I love this last picture of my Dad with his Sibs
There is a lot of love in this Garner family
I love knowing that
I love that all my Sibs were there
I love that we all slept in one big room together
(even though we had our own)
and stayed up until I don't really remember falling asleep
laughing and crying and planning
I loved hanging out and catching up and eating treats
with my cousins
and aunts and uncles
and great aunts and great uncles
Garners love their treats
Leslee always made sure Grandpa had his
I loved hearing the stories
from Jo about the tricks and memories and heartaches
they shared
I loved hearing my Dad say that Grandpa was
the best complete father anyone could hope for
I can agree on that....for him and for me
I loved hearing Blair say that Grandpa taught him
to love his wife
That Grandpa and Grandma had quite the
love affair
with each other
I love that Scott threw out a marshmallow egg
to each of his Sibs
Because they were Grandpa's faves
I love that the funeral home let us give
Grandpa one more ride in his pick up truck
He always loved to drive his pick up truck
Fast
Hunched over the steering wheel
Smiling
I love that all of his Grandsons
rode with him
and his Sons
drove him
I love that he received a 21 gun salute
and the dignity that the honor guard gave him
and that now he is resting next to Grandma
I love that the ward made ham for the luncheon.
Since Grandpa was a butcher
He was a ham snob.
He would have loved that ham.
I love that
we drove down to Grandpa and Grandma's house
one last time
and climbed the box car
to scan the property
and looked over the canals
and stood in front of the cow barn
and listened to the birds in the trees
and listened to each other say
'remember....'
And then,
we all (except me because I had to drive)
jumped in back of Dad's pick up truck
and rode down to Kelly's Market
where Grandpa use to work
and where he and Dad always took us for candy
Oh, we got candy too, one last time.
$28 worth
I love this family.
WOW, Camille. Could that be any more perfect? That was beautiful and so well-put, in every way. You captured every thought, every emotion, everything just the way I wanted to remember it. You are so good with your words. I love you!
ReplyDeleteYou truly are wonderful with words, Camille! That was such a wonderful weekend, even though the reason for it was Val's death (really passing on to the other side and Grandma). Dad and I are so happy that you all love each other and want to be with each other.
ReplyDeleteWrite a book, PLEASE. You are the BEST. I can hardly wait for this summer. Seriously.
ReplyDeleteThat's it...you said it perfectly. I will never forget that short weekend we had together and of course all 7 of us kids lounging in the hotel stuffing our faces with gluten free cupcakes...I loved reading this Camille.
ReplyDeleteSeriously could not have been put any better. I loved reading this and already miss my family! The weekend brought so many emotions, but mostly GOOD. Thanks for summing it up so well! I love you.
ReplyDelete