27 July 2010

Home and Home

going home to utah every summer is a must
A must because
I must see my family
I must indulge on shaved ice
I must eat at cafe rio
I must sit on Mom and Dad's back porch
with my sisters
while the kids run through the sprinkler
and jump on the trampoline
and hunt for rolly pollies
and eat endless creamies
and while we chat and cry and laugh and make fun



And then,
we go to where we always go every summer
since I can remember
This year we said
Really, we need a bigger cabin
Because after all there are.....33 of us plus two on the way
Oh, and a Chiwawa
So we got a bigger cabin



Which meant Papa HAD to get a bigger boat
One we could tuck the kiddos away from the sun in
and one we could dance and sing and teach the kiddos
how to ski and wake board and ride the tube without getting wet



But isn't it interesting that we did it all back at the old cabin?
The cabin I remember going to with Papa to finish building
and roll out the carpet--that hasn't changed since I was 3?





All the kiddos lined the beach
skipping rocks and looking for minnows and fish egg pods
And asking why does the water smell like......?
It still has the same smell that you only know if you have been
there before.



We found sticks and twisted hangers and made
marshmellow torches that tasted like mosquito repellant
and watched the bats and the same sun set
over the same lake



We walked the streets and shops of West
and ate popcorn and lollie pops and fudge
Yes, the fudge
While our faces were lit by the laughter of the PlayMill

Oh and of course we went to Lagoon too.
And then on the last day,
We decided we needed a puppy of our own to take home.
(the first pup was....a nightmare?  and this one, well lets just say
he is a fluffy little cloud name Giorgi Bernardo)




I love this family of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment